Keep your kitchen safe
Did you know, over half of all accidental house fires in the UK take place in the kitchen, with two thirds of kitchen fires starting in ovens or cookers? With Christmas and New Year being a time of celebration with more cooking, we all need to be especially careful during the festivities.
- Regular cleaning of ovens and grills reduces the risk of fat and grease catching fire.
- Never leave cooking unattended. Make sure pan handles don’t stick out as they could be knocked off the cooker.
- Double check the cooker has been turned off.
- Keep all loose items of clothing and tea towels away from the hob to avoid them catching fire.
- Avoid cooking under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or when very tired.
- Don’t put metal items in a microwave.
By following these simple steps, you can stay safe in your home.