Over the winter months you should stay vigilant and check for weather and flood warnings in your area. In bad weather conditions you can check if you might be affected by flooding on the Government website.
Here’s how you can prepare for flooding:
- Have an emergency flood kit prepared – collect your insurance documents, torch, receipts for valuables and passports and so on in a waterproof bag. Make sure your phone is charged as the weather warnings come in.
Have a plan of action – make sure your whole family/household is ware if the house starts to flood and plan which valuable or sentimental items to take upstairs.
- Be prepared to turn off essential power – Make sure everyone in your household knows where the gas, electricity and water mains are so there is no element of panic or confusion.
- Check on your neighbours – ensure anyone who is elderly, alone or vulnerable is supported should they experience flooding.
- Check your insurance cover – It’s worth doing this now, especially for those near areas that usually flood, and make sure your insurance is appropriate for your situation.
- Leave your house as secure as possible – If advised to leave your property by the authorities, follow any instructions they give.
- Keep control of your pets – If a storm is on its way, keep them inside and safe.