Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Making Alterations

If you rent from us and would like to make any alterations to your home, please speak to us to obtain written permission first.

Alterations can be either cosmetic or structural, for example:

  • Erecting a shed or greenhouse
  • Erecting fencing and gates
  • Laying laminate flooring
  • Replacing internal doors
  • Replacement kitchen or bathroom
  • Electrical alterations
  • Plumbing alterations
  • Replacement of external doors and windows
  • Painting the exterior of the building
  • Removal of interior walls or any works to rearrange the internal layout of the property.

Consideration will be given to all requests for alterations however permission will be refused for the following reasons:

  • If the work is likely to reduce the value of the property, or make it less suitable for letting
  • If the alteration has any affect on your neighbour or to the neighbourhood
  • If the alteration is likely to have a negative impact on the accommodation provided by the house
  • If the required alteration is a cat flap to an external door.

If you are making an adaptation to your home due to a disability, for example, grab rails or installing a stair lift, please click here to read our guidance on making adaptations to your home.

You can request permission to make an alteration by speaking to your Neighbourhood Officer, or through My Account.

Your Tenancy Repairs and alterations Making Alterations