Home styling how to get started
We spoke to interior designer Kelly Jones about what she considers to be the most important when she starts designing a room.
Ask yourself questions
There are four key questions to ask yourself when you’re planning your design:
- What do you want out of the space?
- What colours do you love and hate?
- What do you want to use the space for?
- Do you want to buy new furniture or keep what you already have?
This can help you decide what colours you want to use (for instance if you want a cosy feel you may opt for lighter and warmer colours) and whether your design is decided by the furniture you already own.
Use a mood board
Now you have more of an idea of what you want from your space, you can start creating your own mood board. A mood board is a collection of colours, pictures or fabrics that can help you picture how you want your room to look. You can take inspiration from magazines or images online. The mood board is a great way to visualise what works together and what doesn’t, so you can get experimental!
Maximise your space
You might have thought that you want more space in your newly decorated room. Here are some ideas for how you could do that:
- Floating shelves are a great way to keep books and photographs off of your bedside table while keeping them close to hand. Did you also know you could place a floating shelf above your door? Many people leave the space between the door and the ceiling empty, but it is actually a great space for a little bit of extra storage!
- The space under beds and above wardrobes are usually left empty or unorganised, but with plastic boxes you can maximise the amount you store in these places.
- For fashion lovers space saving hangers are a life saver! This way you are able to hang up to 3-4 items of clothing on one hanger which means you have more space for other items or your next shopping trip.
- Your laundry basket can take up a lot of space in a room especially as it gets fuller and fuller. A hanging hamper can be hung from the back of the door which could save you a lot of floor space.
- Over door hooks are an easy and quick way to get things like jackets and bags out of the way. This leaves you with more floor space and a clearer room.
You can even do it on a budget
Need a whole new room, but need to stick to a budget? It is still possible to do!
- Accessories you may be tired of can be given a whole new look to fit in with your new space. You can use some spray paint, which comes in a wide range of metallic and colours, to give your worn out accessories a whole new look!
- You can also do this with furniture covered in fabric, such as chairs and headboards. For example your bedroom headboard looks a little worn out? You can use a staple gun and some new fabric to upholster it! This can make it easier to achieve the look of your mood board without having to break the bank.