Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Gas leaks

If you suspect a gas leak it is essential that you know what to do, it could save lives.

If you think you have a gas leak or can smell gas, leave the house and phone the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999.

If you’re at home, and you can do it safely, turn off your gas supply.

  • Open doors and windows to allow fresh air in
  • Turn off the gas at the mains tap, which is usually near the meter. Move the handle a quarter turn until it’s at 90 degrees from the pipe to shut off the gas supply
  • Leave the property
  • Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999. Only use a mobile phone from outside the property. The number is free and available 24 hours a day
  • Follow the advice given by the emergency advisor
  • Wait outside for a gas engineer to arrive
  • If you are feeling unwell, visit your GP or hospital immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Smoke, light a match or use any other naked flame
  • Turn any electrical switches on or off
  • Use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches, including light switches, which could cause a spark.

Detecting a gas leak – what are the symptoms?

The most obvious sign of a leak is the smell of gas. You could also be feeling ill as a result of a gas leak. The symptoms include:

  • Feeling lightheaded
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Headaches.

If you’re suffering from these symptoms and suspect a leak, you should go outside immediately. These are also some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is released into you home when faulty appliances start leaking. This is why it is important to have annual safety checks on all your appliances.

It is easy to spot signs that your gas or heating appliance could be producing Carbon Monoxide.

DANGER signs can include:

  • Soft yellow flame
  • sooty stain or discolouration on or around the gas appliance
  • Increased levels of condensation in rooms with gas appliances
  • Fumes or smoke in the house
  • slower than usual burning of solid fuel appliances

If you or someone is feeling ill with the above symptom’s visit your doctor urgently and explain that symptoms might be related to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

If you have a Carbon Monoxide alarm and it sounds or you suspect a leak, you must:

  • Stop using all appliances and switch them off
  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the property
  • Evacuate the property immediately and stay calm

Call National Gas Emergency on 0800 111 999 to report the incident, then call Together Housing to inform us of the incident.

Gas leak prevention

There are lots of things you can do to be gas safe and help prevent a gas leak.
Any appliances that you own, or you have installed will be given a visual check only during the Gas Safety Check. It is your responsibility to have your own appliances serviced by a qualified, Gas Safe registered engineer.

A gas detector alarm could help keep you and your family safe by alerting you to leaks.

You can find out more about how to prevent leaks with our video guides to gas safety below:

Your Tenancy Household Emergencies Gas leaks