Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Harassment (verbal abuse, harassment and intimidation)

If the associated behaviour is of a criminal nature you need to report this to the Police immediately, you must also let them know if you are concerned with your safety, or that of others.

Once it has been reported to the police, please contact us highlighting the details of the incident, the police incident number and officer’s name. We will then make a decision whether action can be taken by us.

If you wish to report criminal behaviour anonymously, please contact Crime stoppers.

If the behaviour has been ongoing, please complete our Incident Report Sheets with dates and times of the incidents and send these to us. You can do this by hand or by post, but it may be quicker to do this electronically and attach them when completing the online ASB reporting Form.

Social media

People are allowed to voice their opinions on social media as they are allowed to voice them in person, simply because you don’t agree with their opinion (particularly where it is about you personally) does not mean this is ASB, or a crime, or that the police can take action. However, there is a difference between someone being rude, argumentative or having a different point of view to yours and you receiving threats or targeted abuse.

Depending on the circumstances and the nature of the messages, you may wish to deal with this yourself by ‘unfriending’, ‘blocking’ or ‘unfollowing’ that person so that you do not have any further contact with them. You can also make a report to the relevant social network that all have help and advice pages about how to deal with unwanted contact or report unsocial messages; they may under the right circumstances be able to simply remove the content and/or close down the person’s account.

These sites can also help you manage your security and other settings as well as give parents advice about how to keep young people safe online.

If a person sends threatening/abusive/grossly offensive messages to another person via Facebook, Twitter, or any other social networking site, they could be committing an offence. The most relevant offences are ‘harassment’ and ‘malicious communications’. If you have received any threatening/abusive/offensive messages via a social networking site, and believe that an offence may have been committed, you can report this to the police. Once you have contacted the police please contact us.

Report to the police on 101. To help the police in investigating your case you take some simple steps to record what you have been sent.

Do not respond to the message, or get someone to speak to them on your behalf, it may only encourage the sender or make the situation worse. Take a screen shot of the message, if it is later deleted then you will still have a record of what was said.

Your Neighbourhood Antisocial behaviour (ASB) ASB reporting toolkit Harassment (verbal abuse, harassment and intimidation)