Together Housing Logo
Generic filters
I am a victim of Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB), how can Together Housing help?

Every anti-social behaviour (ASB) case that is reported to us is thoroughly investigated and dealt with in line with our policies and procedures. Evidence provided by the complainant (and alleged perpetrator) allows Together Housing to make informed decisions on the most appropriate action to take, which usually involves prevention, intervention, or enforcement via legal action.

We work impartially with all parties to address issues and work with partner agencies where necessary to achieve a resolution; examples including Local Policing Teams, Mental Health Services, and the Local Authority.

We will support victims and complainants of ASB by keeping in regular contact with them whilst we investigate the complaint.  With consent, we will make referrals to agencies who may be able to provide additional support.

What is or is not anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour comes in lots of forms. It can range from everyday incidents such as noise nuisance to serious criminal acts. The types of behaviour we consider anti-social include (but not limited to):

  • Intimidation and harassment
  • Domestic abuse
  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Rowdy behaviour and drunkenness
  • Pet nuisance i.e. uncontrolled animals
  • Dealing or taking drugs
  • Graffiti
  • Damage to property
  • Dumping rubbish (fly tipping)
  • Noise nuisance: e.g. loud music
  • Racial / religious Abuse


What isn’t anti-social behaviour?

  • Babies crying
  • Cooking odours
  • One off parties/BBQ where there’s no evidence problems will occur
  • Normal behaviour occurring at unusual times because of different working patterns provided the resident is attempting to keep disturbance to a minimum
  • Clash of lifestyles including cultural differences
  • Children’s play
  • Noise transference due to poor sound insulation
  • Bonfires
How can I solve a problem with a neighbour?

When you experience problems with your neighbour, it is always best to speak to them as they may not be aware that they are causing you issue.

Please refer to our guidance ‘Resolving problems with your neighbour’.

If you are experiencing Hate Crime including racial, religious or homophobic abuse there is information on Hate Crime in our Toolkit.

What will happen to my tenancy if my home is used for criminal activity?

We take criminal behaviour in our properties and on our estates very seriously. If you a member of your household, or a visitor to your address are responsible for criminal behaviour you will be putting your tenancy at risk.

We will assist the police with any investigations into criminal activity at any of our properties. If the tenant, or person living in or visit the property is convicted due to criminal activity in the locality of the property, we may seek legal action to end your tenancy.

I am a victim of hate crime, what can I do?

We take Hate Crime very seriously and will respond to all complaints within 1 working day.  Visit our Hate Crime page for further information.

Can I report Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) without giving my name?

If you do share your name with us, your details will always remain confidential unless you give us permission to disclose them. If you prefer, you can decide not to provide your name, but this means we would not be able to update you on what action we are taking. It may also limit the action we can take.

You have asked me to keep filling in diary sheets, why is this?

We need evidence of each anti-social behaviour incident to enable us to build a picture of what has been happening, and for us to see if the action we have already taken has resolved the issues. If the incidents continue and diary sheets are completed, we can then look at what further action can be taken. We would also use these as evidence if the case went to court.  We understand that diary sheets can be a time-consuming process especially in the case of recording repeated and prolonged noise nuisance.

Together Housing has invested in a Noise App; this allows for complainants of noise nuisance who have had an anti-social behaviour case opened, to record the noise, via the app on a smart phone.  This can then be upload for the investigating officer to review.   The noise app allows for a quicker response time when investigating noise nuisance complaints.

You have offered mediation, what does this mean?

Mediation is an early intervention process to bring about a resolution to a complaint as swiftly as possible. 

Mediation allows all parties the opportunity to talk and be listened to without any interruption and to feel they have achieved something.

If you feel uncomfortable about attending a face to face meeting with other residents, you can have a one to one discussion with the mediator.

Mediators are impartial and will not be taking any sides in the dispute, nor will they be judging anybody.

What are the benefits of mediation?

The benefits of mediation are:

  • You get to hear the other persons feelings and concerns
  • Being listened to and feeling supported
  • You start to feel in control again
  • By talking to a mediator, you take the first step to resolving the problem

Mediation is held in a neutral location and controlled environment to allow all parties to feel at ease.

How often will you contact me about my complaint?

We will endeavour to keep you up to date with the case progression.   The level of contact made will depend upon the severity of the investigation and the impact on the complainant.   The level of support given will be tailored to meet the needs of that particular individual and the circumstances of the case. As a minimum standard we will provide a named contact who will maintain a regular contact with witnesses, keeping them fully informed as possible throughout the process.   Due to the General Data Protection Regulations we are limited to what information we can share, though where we have consent to share information and it is pertinent to do so, we will.

What would happen if the case went to court?

You will be required to provide a witness statement and to give evidence. Your Anti-Social Behaviour and Interventions Officer will support you throughout the case and help you prepare for any hearings. They will also attend the court hearing and support you on the day.

What if the person stops causing the anti-social behaviour or nuisance after I have reported it?

If the incidents stop and a case has already been created, then we will monitor the situation for a short period. We will then close the case. However, if further incidents happen after the case has been closed, Together Housing will create a new case and continue to act against the person causing the nuisance.

Who else can help?

Other useful sites

  1. ASB Help
  2. Victim Support
  3. Crimestoppers

Useful numbers

  • The Police – 999 if an emergency, or 101.
  • Age Concern – 0800 009 966
  • Women’s Aid – 0808 200 0247
  • Childline – 0800 1111
  • Crime Stoppers – 0800 555 111
  • Domestic Violence Hotline – 0808 200 0247 (24 hour)
  • NSPCC – 0808 800 5000
  • Parentline Plus – 0808 800 2222
  • RSPCA – 0300 123 4999 (24 hour)
Your Neighbourhood Antisocial behaviour (ASB) Antisocial behaviour (ASB) FAQ