Skip to main content

Request Exchange

Request Exchange

A mutual exchange is when two or more housing association tenants or council tenants, in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, who occupy permanent self-contained accommodation, have a legal right to exchange their tenancies under section 92 of the Housing Act 1985.

  • Each tenant must move into their exchange partner’s property
  • A tenant cannot exchange into an empty property
  • You must not exchange your property without our permission
  • A mutual exchange ends your tenancy and a new tenancy is created for you.

You can exchange with;

  • Another Together Housing  tenant;
  • A tenant of another housing association;
  • A tenant of a council.

You can search online for a suitable mutual exchange partners by registering with HomeSwapper, 

You will then need to contact the applicant you wish to exchange with directly. You can do this through their contact details on the site.

If you want to exchange with the tenant of another registered social landlord or council, we will provide a written reference for your tenancy to the other landlord.  The other registered social landlord or council will do the same for their tenant.

Other conditions that you should meet before the exchange may be allowed to go ahead include the following;

  • You cannot have any Rent arrears
  • You cannot have been or be causing a nuisance or anti-social behaviour.
  • You must have let us make a gas and electricity safety check.
  • You must not have made any alterations without permission.

We will not unreasonably refuse an application for a mutual exchange.  However, we may refuse an application if;

  • There is a court order against you on any grounds, including rent arrears
  • There is a current notice seeking possession in force
  • Your proposed new property is too big for your needs
  • Your proposed new property is too small for your needs resulting in statutory overcrowding
  • The property is specifically designed or adapted for the elderly and/or disabled and you do not qualify for such housing
  • You may not be eligible for this property under the current housing policy
  • Your current tenancy is demoted or licensed.

Before a mutual exchange takes place both parties to the exchange must get permission from their landlord. To do this you will need to download and complete the Mutual Exchange request form.

On completion of the Mutual Exchange we will send an acknowledgement letter to the tenant to confirm the change.

You must be logged in to access this form - Please click here to login

Live Chat