There are a number of ways you can save money, through energy efficiency.
The following videos will give you some tips.
Here are some helpful and handy tips to help save energy:
- Keep the oven door shut as much as possible; every time you open it, nearly a quarter of the heat escapes
- Give your clothes a day in the sun; and give your tumble dryer a break. Clothes dried in the fresh air feel great, and there are drying days in winter too.
- Food in the oven cooks faster when the air inside flows freely, so avoid putting foil on the racks
- Don’t leave your phone on charge all night. It only needs a couple of hours – and don’t leave the TV and other kit on stand-by
- Be a friend to your freezer. Defrost it regularly to help it run more efficiently
- Catch ‘em young. Encourage your children to switch off electric toys and lights that they’re not using. They’ll soon get the hang of saving energy
- Dodge the draft! Fit draught excluders to your front door, letterbox and key hole, and draw your curtains at dusk to keep the heat in
- When boiling water, only fill the kettle with as much as you’ll actually use (but make sure you cover the metal element at the base)
- Buying a new TV, washing machine or dishwasher? Look out for the Energy Saving Trust ‘recommended’ logo, and remember: the bigger the TV, the more energy it’ll use.
- Dimmer is smarter. Use your dimmer switches to reduce the amount of energy used to light your room
- Wait until you have a full load before putting on a wash. Two half-loads use more energy (and water) than one full load
- Sleep tight. Make sure all the lights are turned off when you go to bed, or use a low-wattage night light if you do need to leave one on
- Turn your heating down by 1 degree. You’ll hardly notice the change in temperature, but it’ll make a big difference to your heating bill
- Put your fridge in a good spot. Somewhere the air can circulate behind it, but not next to a cooker or radiator
- New computer? Remember a laptop typically uses around 85% less energy than a new desktop PC.