Skip to main content

Request an exchange

Request an exchange

Do you want to swap your property?

If you are looking to move home, you might want to consider swapping with another tenant, sometimes called a Mutual Exchange. You can exchange with a tenant of:

  • Your existing landlord
  • Another Housing Association
  • A Local Authority

If you are interested in this option you can register free of charge with Homeswapper who advertise exchanges throughout the country.

You will then need to contact the applicant you wish to exchange with directly. You can do this through their contact details on the site.

If you want to exchange with the tenant of another registered social landlord or council, we will provide a written reference for your tenancy to the other landlord. The other registered social landlord or council will do the same for their tenant.

Other conditions that you should meet before the exchange may be allowed to go ahead include the following;

  • You cannot have any Rent arrears
  • You cannot have been or be causing a nuisance or anti-social behaviour
  • A gas and electricity safety check must have taken place
  • You must not have made any alterations without permission

We will not unreasonably refuse an application for a mutual exchange. However, we may refuse an application if;

  • There is a court order against you on any grounds, including rent arrears
  • There is a current notice seeking possession in force
  • Your proposed new property is too big for your needs
  • Your proposed new property is too small for your needs resulting in statutory overcrowding
  • The property is specifically designed or adapted for the elderly and/or disabled and you do not qualify for such housing
  • You may not be eligible for this property under the current housing policy
  • Your current tenancy is demoted or licensed

Before a mutual exchange takes place both parties to the exchange must get permission from their landlord. To do this you will need to download and complete the Mutual Exchange request form.

On completion of the Mutual Exchange we will send an acknowledgement letter to you to confirm the change.