Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Under occupation

Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may be reduced if you are considered to be under-occupying your property.

It is your responsibility to pay us any rent that is not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

You can use the Citizens Advice website to work out if you are affected or click here for the rules.

Please visit My Account if you need any help with an under occupancy issue, or would like to check if you will be affected by these rules.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

This is an extra payment from your local council to help pay your rent. It’s up to the Council to decide if you’re eligible based on the information you provide.

Click here for more information on DHPs and how to claim.

Supporting You Managing your money Our benefits advice Your guide to benefits Housing benefit Under occupation