Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Benefit cap

The Benefit Cap affects some working age people and limits the total amount of certain benefits you can be paid.

If the cap affects you, your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced.

You could be affected by the benefits cap if your benefit income is more than:

Household Yearly Monthly Weekly
Couple (with children or not) or lone parent £20,000 £1,666.67 £384.62
Single parent £13,400 £1,116.67 £257.69

It is still your responsibility to pay the full rent due. However, you may be exempt from Benefit Cap, so it may not affect you.

Where can I find more information?

Find out more information about the benefit cap via the links below. These give you information about which benefits are included in the cap and if you could be exempt. You can also use the benefit cap calculator to find out if this affects you.

Where can I get some help and advice?

Our Welfare Benefit Advisors can advise you on any benefit issues. You can text BENEFITS HELP to 66099 and one of our advisors will get in touch with you.

If you’re affected by the benefits cap and have difficulty paying your rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local Council.

You can ask for help from DWP by ringing:

  • Benefit cap helpline
    Telephone, savings and debt 0345 605 7064
    Textphone 0345 608 8551
  • Universal Credit Service Centre
    Telephone 0345 6000 723
    Textphone 0345 6000 743

Alternatively, you can speak to your Jobcentre Plus work coach or ask to see a work coach if you don’t have one.
Independent advice and support is available from: for all benefits issues for housing, benefits and debt for budgeting, savings and debt advice.

Supporting You Managing your money Our benefits advice Your guide to benefits Benefit cap