Skip to main content

Under occupation

Under occupation

Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may be reduced if you are considered to be under-occupying your property.

It is your responsibility to pay us any rent that is not covered by Housing Benefit / Universal Credit.

You can use the Citizens Advice Housing Benefit - Bedroom Calculator to work out if you are affected or click here for the rules.

Please visit Your Account if you need any help with an under occupancy issue, or would like to check if you will be affected by these rules.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a payment you may receive at the discretion of your local authority which can help towards housing costs. It is available to people who are receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit, and where you are not receiving enough to cover your rent.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced due to under occupation or for any other reason, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local council.

Click here for more information on DHPs and how to claim.