Skip to main content

Benefit cap

Benefit cap

The Benefit Cap affects some working age people and limits the total amount of certain benefits you can be paid.

If the cap affects you, your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced.

You could be affected by benefits cap if your benefit income is more than:

Household Yearly Monthly Weekly
Couple (with children or not) or Lone parent £20,000 £1,666.67 £384.62
Single person £13,400 £1,116.67 £257.69

It is still your responsibility to pay the full rent due.

However, you may be exempt from Benefit Cap, so it may not affect you.

You can use the benefit cap calculator to find out if this affects you and see more information here.

Where can I find more information?

For more information about the benefit cap changes, see This gives you information about which benefits are included in the cap, which are not and if you could be exempt.

Where can I get some help and advice?

Our Welfare Benefit Advisors can advise you on any benefit issues. You can text BENEFITS HELP to 66099 and one of our advisors will get in touch with you.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit is reduced and you have difficulty paying your rent, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local Council.

There's more information about DHPs here.

You can ask for help from DWP by ringing:-

  • Benefit cap helpline
    Telephone 0345 605 7064
    Textphone 0345 608 8551
  • Universal Credit Service Centre
    Telephone 0345 6000 723
    Textphone 0345 6000 743

Alternatively, you can speak to your Jobcentre Plus work coach or ask to see a work coach if you don't have one.

Independent advice and support is available from:-