Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Rent and other charges we collect are used to pay for the essential services we provide for you as our tenant, such as repairs and improvements. For the last four years, the Government has had an annual reduction of -1% in the rent. Along with all other social housing providers, Together Housing has cut its rent for the last four years.

This reduction will end this April. For the year starting April 2020, rent will be increased by up to 2.7%. This amount is in line with Government recommendations and is made up of inflation (Consumer Price Index of 1.7%) plus an additional 1%.

Other housing associations will also increase their rent in line with these recommendations. The increase will help us to invest more in services for existing tenants and communities, and to build more quality, affordable homes.

Frequently asked questions

What will happen to my rent as I am on housing benefit?

Your housing benefit will automatically adjust to take into account the rent changes. The council will notify you of the housing benefit awarded when it has been calculated. We do not know the award yet.

What will happen to my rent as I am on Universal Credit?

If your Universal Credit includes housing costs to help pay your rent, we cannot inform the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) of changes to your rent. It’s important that you inform them yourself so that your Universal Credit is adjusted correctly.

If you have an online Universal Credit account, you need to state the new rent figures on your journal. Please do this on or just after, but not before, 6th April 2020.

If you don’t have an online journal, you need to ring Universal Credit on 0800 328 5644.

Will my payments be automatically adjusted if I pay by direct debit?

Yes. The Income Team will amend your direct debit to take into account the rent and other charges now payable. You will receive a letter confirming the amounts and dates that payment will be deducted from then on.

How do I arrange to pay by direct debit?

Call our Customer Service Centre on 0300 555 5560.

What happens if I pay by standing order?

You will need to ask your bank to adjust your standing order to take into account the rent now payable.

What do I do if I pay by bank transfer?

You will need to pay the new amount stated in your letter.

Here to help you

We have a team of friendly, expert benefits advisors.

For help claiming benefits, text BENEFITS HELP to 66099.

For help claiming Universal Credit, text UC HELP to 66099.

Or call our dedicated Customer Service Centre on 0300 555 5560.

Latest News Rent increase from April 2020