Skip to main content

Carbon monoxide - the secret killer

Carbon monoxide - the secret killer

 

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas which can be produced by faulty appliances powered by any fuel that burns.

Signs of carbon monoxide

Look out for gas appliances burning with a yellow/orange flame that is usually blue, extra condensation, pilot lights blowing out, sooting and/or yellow stains around appliances.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide

Look out for flu-like symptoms, chest or stomach pains, erratic behaviour, nausea and/or vomiting, breathlessness, feeling tired or drowsy, giddiness/headaches and visual problems.

Remember to open your kitchen window when using your cooker to keep air flowing.

If you smell gas

If you think you can smell gas, or think you have a gas leak, telephone National Gas Emergencies on 0800 111 999.

  • Turn off your gas supply at the meter (if you know where and how to do this).
  • Open all windows and doors.
  • Do not smoke or turn on light switches and put out any naked flames.
  • Do not use/touch any electrical appliances or switches.
  • Leave the property if necessary and you are able to.
Posted: .

Article by:

Accessibility