Skip to main content

Claiming help if you’re a homeowner

Claiming help if you’re a homeowner

If you’re currently on a low income, you may qualify for Universal Credit for everyday living costs.

We advise you to claim online here as soon as possible as it won’t be backdated.

If you own your own home, you may also be eligible for help with your mortgage (or other loans secured against the property). This is a loan normally paid direct to the mortgage lender and you need to have been on Universal Credit for 39 weeks before it starts.

If you live in a shared ownership property your Universal Credit can also include help with rent. This rent help starts as soon as you go onto Universal Credit, there’s no waiting time. It’s paid into your bank account monthly in one Universal Credit lump sum and you must pay the rent due to Together Housing.

If your property is leasehold you may also get help with some service charges.

For more information about Universal Credit and how to claim see 

If you’d like more advice:

  • If you pay rent to Together Housing, our benefits advisors can provide expert friendly advice. We can advise on how to claim benefits including Universal Credit, what to expect and how to get a payment advance while waiting 5 weeks for the first monthly credit.

Get in touch

We are here to support you. If you have any concerns, please contact us.

  • Online – This can be done 24 hours a day by the online form here.
  • Telephone 0300 555 5560 - lines are open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday (emergency service only outside these hours).
  • Text - You can text UC Help to 66099 and one of our friendly expert Benefits Advisors will get in touch with you. 

Posted: .