Did you know, over half of all accidental house fires in the UK take place in the kitchen, with two thirds of kitchen fires starting in ovens or cookers?
Lucy Brighton, a Quality Control Officer at Together Housing, and Karina Gonzalez, from West Yorkshire Fire Service, present our new safety video about kitchen fires.
We’ve made a new video with West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service to raise resident’s awareness of how to keep kitchens safe.
- Regular cleaning of ovens and grills reduces the risk of fat and grease catching fire.
- Never leave cooking unattended. Make sure pan handles don’t stick out as they could be knocked off the cooker.
- Double check the cooker has been turned off.
- Keep all loose items of clothing and tea towels away from the hob to avoid them catching fire.
- Avoid cooking under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or when very tired.
- Don’t put metal items in a microwave.
By following these simple steps, you can stay safe in your home.