Together Housing Logo
Generic filters

Home owners FAQs

If you have a query about your lease or any aspect of home ownership, our Frequently Asked Questions should help. If you need to speak to us, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Am I allowed pets?
Your lease will usually stipulate if you are allowed pets. Some leases require written permission from us before taking in pets. Please consult your lease or contact us. Please also note that any permissions provided will be subject to certain conditions such as the pet not being dangerous to others, causing a noise or other disturbances.
Can I replace my doors/windows?

Your lease should stipulate whose responsibility it is to replace the windows and doors to your property; either your responsibility or ours. Your lease will also contain a clause which will outline whether you are allowed to make alterations to your property.

Some leases may not allow any changes to the property at all, and if it is your responsibility to replace your windows/doors, then you would only be able to do so on a like-for-like basis. Restrictions like this may exist within your lease due to the property being in a conservation area or because it is within a block and it is important to keep the block looking the same for aesthetic purposes.

If it is our responsibility to maintain these, then you would need to contact us so that we can arrange to send an inspector to attend and advise what works need carrying out.

Can I make alterations to my home?

Your lease will specify whether you are allowed to make any alterations to your property. It will also specify if you need to obtain written permission from us first.

It is very important to comply with the terms of your lease on this as alterations could affect the structural stability of your property and if we have not provided written consent or it causes subsequent issues as a result, then you may be required to restore the alterations back to their previous condition.

It could also affect the sale of your property. Please note our fees for approving alterations.

How are my service charges calculated?

You can find information on service charges, rent and other fees here.

How can we remove someone from the lease?

This is a legal procedure and you would need to instruct solicitors to act on your behalf to remove someone else from the lease. Please note that until this has been completed, all current leaseholders would be legally responsible for the property and any amounts due for it.

How do I add someone to the lease?

This is a legal procedure and you would need to instruct solicitors to act on your behalf to add someone else to the lease.

How do I claim on the buildings insurance for communal areas?

Our Home Ownership Team will be happy to advise you. You can contact us via our online form

How do I claim on the buildings insurance for my property?

You can find this information on our Service Charge page.

How do I update my account details such as email address, telephone number, correspondence address and household members?

To change any information please either Contact the Home Ownership Team or access My Account and update your details.

How do I go about extending my lease?

Please contact the Home Ownership Team who will be happy to give you advice.

How do I make a payment?

Please visit our Make a Payment section for details on making payments to us.

How do I report a repair or issue affecting the communal areas?

You can report a communal area repair through My Account, via the Together Housing App, or contact the Home Ownership Team.

How do I update my new name details? (for marriage etc)

Please send us a copy of the marriage certificate/notification of name change via deed poll etc so that we can amend our records accordingly.

Legally we are not able to update our records until we have this and therefore all correspondence would still be addressed in your previous name.

How do I update the death of a leaseholder?

Please send us a copy of the death certificate so that we can amend our records accordingly.

Legally we are not able to update our records until we have this and therefore all correspondence would still be addressed to the deceased.

In order for us to be able to deal with you regarding the account on behalf of the deceased, we need written evidence that you have been awarded probate/executor. Without this, we would not be able to discuss any details of the account with you.

How do I complain about a neighbour?

Please see the Anti Social Behaviour section of our website.

How do I complain/make a comment about communal areas?
I have received a section 20 notice. What action do I need to take?

A Section 20 notice is the consultation with you regarding major works and expenditure.

We are obliged to consult with leaseholders where the cost of one off works might exceed £250.00 per leaseholder or £100 per annum per leaseholder for long term contracts.

The Section 20 notice that you have received will outline any actions that you need to take. However, if you require any further information please contact us.

I have received my service charge certificate. What action do I need to take?

Your service charge certificate is issued within 6 months of your financial year-end and will outline whether there was an over/under spend during that year.

The amount due to you as a refund or the amount due from you is shown at the bottom of the certificate.

If you are due a refund, we will first check your service charge account to identify if there are any arrears outstanding and if so, this refund will be credited to this account to offset these arrears. If there are no arrears, then we will arrange to refund this amount to you if it exceeds £20.

If you are required to make an additional payment then you will need to arrange to pay this separately as soon as possible, please click here for details on how to pay us.

I live in a new build property and have identified defects within the defect period. What should I do?
I need an LPE1 (Leasehold Property Enquiry form) or sometimes referred to as the solicitors' enquiries form or sales pack completing for the sale of my property, how do I obtain this?

Our current fees for providing this pack can be found on our Fees page.

Please arrange payment either by cheque made payable to ‘Together Housing Association’ or by contacting our Customer Services Team.

Cheques should be sent to:

Home Ownership Team
Harrison Street
WF1 1PS.

I want to sell my shared ownership property - what do I need to do?

Please download and complete the Enquiry Form and send to the Home Ownership Team at

What do I need to do when remortgaging?
Why are my service charges different to those of general needs tenants?

The service charges for leaseholders and general needs tenants can differ because some elements of the service charges are covered under the rental element for general needs tenants. The general needs tenants are therefore still contributing towards these costs.

What should I do if I am struggling to pay my rent and service charges due to financial difficulties?

Please contact the Home Ownership Team. We also have a range of information on money, money management and debt in our Managing Money section.

Why do I have to pay for repairs when Together Housing owns part of the property? (shared owners only)

Shared ownership leases are set in accordance with government guidelines as outlined by Homes England (formerly known as the Homes and Communities Agency) and it is therefore not a unique term of Together Housing’s shared ownership leases that the leaseholder has full repair and maintenance obligations; this is a standard lease term across the sector.

The rent payable is set for the share of the property that you do not own.

How can I buy further shares in my property? (Shared owners only)

We would be delighted to help you staircase to buy more shares in your home! Please contact the Sales Team at who will be able to help you.

Can I sublet my property? (Shared ownership only)

As a shared owner you cannot sublet your property unless you own full equity, ie 100% of the property.

This is in accordance with government guidelines as outlined by Homes England (HE) (formerly the Homes and Communities Agency).

We may be able to grant permission to sub-let on a temporary basis in very exceptional circumstances. Please contact us for further details.

If you are a leaseholder of a Leasehold Scheme for the Elderly, sub-letting is not permitted within your lease.

Can I sublet my property? (Leaseholders only)

Your lease will outline whether you are allowed to sub-let your property.

Will Together Housing buy back shares in my property? (Shared ownership only)

We are not currently offering to buy back shares in your property.

What are the arrangements for buildings insurance?

Your lease will outline whose responsibility it is to provide buildings insurance for your property.

If it is outlined as our responsibility, then you will need to claim directly through our insurance brokers.

All the information to do this, can be found in the insurance summary.

We know that the language of deeds and leases can be unfamiliar and we have therefore provided some definitions to help you understand them. 

Home Owners Home owners FAQs